Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Stay-At-Home-Nerd

I knew I'd find a way for Excel spreadsheets to remain an integral part of my life. In an effort to reduce the number of grocery store trips and to increase the quality of our food consumption, I've launched a new regime. I've copied the list of ingredients for a bunch of our favourite recipes (11 so far and counting), plus a list of staples into Excel. At the beginning of the week, Kate and I pick the 6 or 7 dinners we want to eat that week. I copy and paste the ingredients, sort them alphabetically and then do the whole week's shopping at once. It's brilliant and so far this week we've had a pot roast, Thai chicken soup, fajitas, and Green curry beef. And tonight it's Chicken with 40 Cloves of garlic. As a result, I'm using the slow cooker more often and there is less scouring of the fridge for ingredients to throw into a same-old-same-old stir-fry.

1 comment:

karl lagerfeld, esquire said...

welcome to my world, chris! it makes all the difference.

my suggestion (if you haven't thought of this already) is to organize the grocery list by section of the store (all the produce together, meats, frozen foods, etc) to make your shopping trip that much easier.

good luck! the slowcooker is your friend...remember it can also do soups, stews, and all manner of amazing things.