Monday, July 21, 2008

The Sporting Legend Grows

Many of you are familiar with my athletic prowess. So you won't be surprised that upon joining the local tennis club this summer I've been festooned with compliments about my superior athleticism, speed, and general jauntiness. And if you think this has anything to do with the fact that the star of the club is 74 years old, or that I've got ten years on the next youngest member, well then you're a little cynical and possibly ageist. Last week I was having a ferocious groundstroke battle with one of the members, and I only won the point when his prosthetic hand came loose. I did have the good grace to help him pick up the scattered bolts and washers, but not before uttering the inevitable, "Can I give you a hand?".

We had a rainy but fun day down in Toronto yesterday, visiting Jo/Mike/Seb/Sophie in the morning and Priya/David/Rowan in the afternoon. As usual I should have taken more photos.

In case the kids hadn't had enough birthday celebrations already, here they are opening more presents, with the assistance of Seb and Sophie.


And last night I saw The Dark Knight, the latest Batman film. It was spectacular - gripping action from start to finish, and a smart, dark take on being a hero. Hard to believe there will be many better movies this year. Heath Ledger's final performance, as the Joker was great - much more compelling than Jim Carrey's comedic caricature.

No comments: