Monday, October 17, 2011

Christmas Wishes Already

Jacob: My Tom Brady shirt is too small for me
Me: That's right. Zoë wears it now.
Jacob: I should get a new one. Do we have enough money?
Me: Maybe you should ask for one for Christmas
Jacob: No. I've been really wishing for something else for Christmas
Me: What's that
Jacob: I think I'm really ready for it now. I'm big enough.
Me: What is it Jacob?
Jacob: A zamboni
Me: Umm, how big would this zamboni be?
Jacob: The same size as the one in the hockey arena
Me: What would you use it for?
Jacob: Cleaning the ice at the hockey arena (thinking: duhh, what are you dumb?)

But despite elaborate Christmas wishes, here's an example of why there is only one Jacob. Last Wednesday night, after Molly had a rough first night of hockey, she had a minor meltdown at bedtime because she wanted to be the first in her pajamas and Jacob had already put his on. So, he says "it's okay Molly" and rips his pajamas off and waits for her to get hers on first.

We've been to public skating three times since last Wednesday to try to ensure that this week's hockey goes a little better for Molly (and because Kate has signed up for a women's hockey league and is very nervous!). Molly hadn't skated in full hockey gear before, and fell over right away and couldn't get back up, and then just got overwhelmed by the whole thing. But she's improving already and I'm hoping it will be happier this time. Her attitude has been amazing though - she wants to keep going to the rink and keep practicing. Jacob did great at the first hockey practice and doesn't want to get off the ice when we're ready to leave the free skate.

Kate and I did a half marathon yesterday in beautiful but windy conditions. I finished in 1hr 44min, which is a 4 1/2 minute personal best, and more importantly was "only" 4 minutes behind my lovely wife. I'm gunning for her!

3 comments:

karl lagerfeld, esquire said...

LOL @ "Do we have enough money?" so cute!!!

Anonymous said...

LOVE the zamboni story. I can totally hear the conversation the way you've written it.
Very impressive on the hockey (for all parties) and skating. Yikes are we ever far behind! I'm not even sure there's ice in the arenas here yet.

And running! wow you guys are speedy.
xo
lc

just us said...

Was hanging at your sis-in-law's place last night (and early this morning...) and the kind hearts of Molly and Jacob came up as a topic of contemplation. Sweet story. Seb has ditched the request for a Maplea ("Canadian Girl") doll and now just wants Playmobil yet again. He would NEVER ask for clothes - though perhaps with all the Habs stuff his Gramps gives him he doesn't have to! Do your kids need Habs hand-me downs?!