Thursday, January 3, 2008

Six Month Round-Up

Kate's back to work today after the holidays, and the kids are sleeping and it's -20C outside so what better to do than blog while I eat my lunch.

We were looking at some newborn photos of the twins over the holidays and couldn't believe how much they've grown and changed. I guess it sneaks up on you when you're with them every day. So, who do they seem to be at six months?

What Jacob Seems to Love:
- My sense of humour, especially the fake sneeze gag. I married Kate largely because she laughed at all my jokes. Ten years later I realize that half the time she's not actually laughing with me. Jacob is different - he legitimately thinks I'm hilarious.
- Solid food. Well, rice meal isn't terribly solid but he's sold on it and he's ready for more.
- Cuddles. Above all else he likes to be held, to have a shoulder or neck to nuzzle, and he doesn't seem too picky as to who the cuddlee may be.
- Bathtime. At first, he always seemed to sink, while Molly floated. But now this is one of his favourite times of the day. Kicking madly and splashing about and he doesn't seem to mind getting submerged occasionally.
- Books. Particularly trying to turn the pages himself. Favourites include Doggies and Spot the Dog.
- Eating his feet. Molly's physio said this is an important part of a baby's development, but it seems to be approaching an obsession with him. He also quite enjoys Molly's feet (again, don't ask)

What Molly Seems to Love:
- Dancing with her momma. Unfortunately, too often it's to Abba.
- Humouring me. She doesn't smile for just anyone, but when she feels like it she beams at me beneficently as though I'm one of her subjects. We always say that her first sentence is likely to be "don't treat me any differently than you would the queen".
- My dad's voice. When we were in Mtl for the holidays, she turned her head around and smiled at him every time he spoke. Gotta love the remnants of that Scottish burr.
- Tomatoes. Don't ask how she knows this or why this was her first food. But she loved it. Tough for me to understand, as a life-long tomato-despiser.
- Books. She pays attention from first word to last. Favourites include Big Red Barn and Hairy McLary. I'm pretty sure she's also enjoying the Nick Hornby book I'm reading to Kate.
- Being carried in the backpack. Much more interesting than being stuffed in the stroller.
- NFL football. She especially perks up when Tom Brady is leading the Pats to another victory. Of course we're opposed to babies watching television, but just the inane things like teletubbies and Baby Einstein, not important events like Hockey Night in Canada or Sunday afternoon football.

No comments: