Thursday, August 25, 2011

The Grudge Match

I've come close to beating Kate on the road this year, so was this my chance to take her down in triathlon? And racing Beth too - a chance to avenge decades of ending up on the losing end of the stick.

It's too bad I didn't spend any time this year learning to swim. I'm pretty sure Kate and Beth were finished the bike course by the time I came sputtering out of the water. Ah well, there's always next year, as they say in Leaf Land.


- On the bright side, I did defend my title as The Whitest Man






















- Kate and Beth looking confident before the swim






















- Kate heading out on her bike

















- And off on the run

















- With Beth hot on her heels

















- Mary and Mom - part of our large cheering section

















- Who's Molly cheering for?

















- All 5 cousins having fun

















- Kate wins our family MVP award. And knocks another 2 minutes off her PB. Another 10 minutes and she'll be a contendah















- Beth wins our Most Improved Award, knocking about 8 minutes off her time from 2 years ago





- And what do I win? How about the I Survived Another Year Without Drowning Award















- I did set a PB by 4 minutes, but check out the dejected look in this photo. Dude, it's only a race.





2 comments:

just us said...

I think Molly is just keeping her cards close to her chest. Smart girl with so many competitors in the family.

Anonymous said...

So lemme get this straight - everyone set PBs, Sean and Erin were total superstars, your mom won her category in the Try a tri (yes, I spied) and you look that disappointed?

Dude, something's wrong with your head. Yes, it's only a race, but you kicked your own butt, so you should be super proud of yourself!

Seriously, you want to take on your own wife in these things? Are you crazy? She's insanely fit and insanely fearless. After that fall in the previous one, you'd never catch me on a bike again. (Come to think of it, I never bike. Or swim. Anyway.) Point being, that girl's got something else. But you are all incredible.

xo
lc

p.s. and I think that is my all time favourite photo of Molly.