Thursday, September 6, 2012

Trip to the Maritimes

End of July, beginning of August, we took a 2 week road trip across Quebec, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia, with the dual goals of visiting Dan & Alison and attending a pirate festival. That's a lot of driving for our young crew, but with the help of lots of interesting stops and a few in-flight movies, there was nary a whisper of complaint until the final leg of the journey (when we'd all had enough).

First stop, Montreal, where my mom had acquired some righteous pirate wench costumes for the girls. Jacob, being pirate-obsessed, already had full regalia.






After two nights with my parents, it was off to Rimouski (destination chosen largely because of a hotel with a waterslide - yes, that's how we roll). With pitstops in Quebec City and Parc Le Bic.

Vive le Quebec


Zoë tour-guiding from the Levis-Quebec ferry


On the boardwalk, in the scorching sun




And just for interest sake, here are a couple of shots of our last trip to Quebec, in June 2009, when the twins were 2 and Zoë was still in China!




At Le Bic park


After a night in Rimouski, we drove through the Gaspe region and down the eastern coast of New Brunswick, where we camped in Kouchibouguac (which is somehow pronounced with a "quack") at the end. Roasting marshmallows at the campsite.


The next morning, while Kate was out for a long bike ride, I returned to the campsite from the playground.
Park Ranger: Excuse me sir, we heard there was a bear at your campsite
Me: Um, no
Park Ranger: We heard a woman was fighting with a bear here in your campsite
Me: I don't know anything about that, but it does sound like my wife

Later, upon Kate's return...
Me: So, did you see a bear this morning
Kate: Yes, he was going after our bacon grease, so I shouted at him and threw our dish water at him
Me: You didn't want to go for help?
Kate: No, I had to get out on my bike ride. And the bear was pissing me off.
Me: Alrighty then

No comments: