Friday, February 15, 2008

Domestic Crisis

What's the worst thing that could happen in a twin household?

- Internet going down, thus cutting me off from the outside world? Nope, I'm still connected.
- Running out of baby food? Not in our 24/7 shopping universe.
- Snow going unshoveled leading our postal worker to miss our house several days in a row and then leaving me a nasty note? Not really a problem - what, I'm supposed to be sad that my pizza flyer and bank statement got delayed? Please.
- Washing machine breaking? Yup, that's our crisis du jour.

We had a washing machine induced flood at the beginning of the week. Then, due to my unflagging and irrational belief that technical problems will just go away, we had a second, more biblical flood a couple of days later. And the laundry pile grows higher.

Who knows how many loads of laundry get done per week around here, but it's a lot. Orders of magnitude more than when I was in undergrad and did a few loads per semester at mom's house. Is that why we all wore Drakkar in university - to cover the delicate odour of underwashed clothing?

So I trekked down to Barrie this morning and bought us a new washing machine. Delivery next Friday. Crisis averted. We're off to Parry Sound for a weekend of cottage life. And I'm bringing lots of dirty laundry.

1 comment:

Penny said...

Hi Chris - this is the first time I've heard of someone taking dirty laundry TO the cottage! Sorry to hear about the flood; we had one many years ago and it was devastating!

I found your blog because of your cottage reference. If you need more hits of cottage life at this time of year, come on over and visit our website and my blog at: www.cottagelife.com/pennysblog