Monday, February 4, 2008

Sad Week For Sports Heroes

I don't write much about sports here - perhaps because my audience isn't exactly ESPN nation. But this has been a bad week for my two favourite athletes of all time.

Guy Lafleur was my childhood hero, leading the Habs to Cups in my first four years living in Montreal. There has never been a more electrifying hockey player. Gretzky and Lemieux were clearly better players, but nowhere near as exciting. And he did it smoking 2 packs a day, which somehow seemed cooler back then. And the hair flying behind him as he streaked down the wing. He was something. And this week he's been charged with lying to cover-up for his apparently ne'er-do-well son. Put me on the jury, Guy, and I'll wear my #10 jersey enroute to an acquittal. As an aside, I do think that Ovechkin is a contender for the throne, plus he can throw his weight around.

And Tom Brady, contender for greatest QB of all time, best clutch performer since Montana , and saviour of my previously sad-sack Patriots, failed to perform last night against an inferior Giants team. I can't believe I'm waking up to a world where the Manning brothers have won two Super Bowls in a row.

No comments: