Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Naps, Fruit, and Papa's Truck

A few stories that have made me smile in the past few days:

1. Jacob & Molly: Mama, mama
Me: Where's your mama?
Jacob & Molly: (in unison, nodding solemnly) Nap, nap
Me: No, no, your mama's at work. She's not sleeping.
Jacob: (shaking head) Nap
Molly: (scrunching up eyes, putting head down on groun) Nap

2. The kids haven't had so much as a sniffle in over two months, despite hanging out with lots of snot-nosed kids and visiting lots of flu-infested homes. I'm guessing that a contributing factor to their strengthened immune systems has to be the amount of fruit ingested. Case in point. Yesterday for afternoon snack they shared a banana and five oranges. Then, an hour later they had three quarters of a honeydew melon and an obscene number of peach slices. They were still begging for more at the end, but I finally stopped out of fear that they would contract whatever the opposite of scurvy might be.

3. Jacob can't stop talking about Papa (Kate's dad). Ever since Christmas, whenever we see a pick-up truck, he says Papa. When we read about a garbage can or a stringed instrument, he says Papa. We phoned Papa yesterday and afterwards, Jacob was bubbling over with excitement, saying Papa, truck, garbage, Papa. So, I tried to capture it on video, with the usual result of him ignoring my direction and Molly feeling sorry for me and helping me out a little.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I swear: what a way to start the day. (This is Thursday morning, the 26th.) This blog is better than a Mike Leigh film!
You ought to consider syndication/mass distribution. I mean, the truck, the garbage cans, the guitar: these are the essentials of a happy life, no? Shouldn't these be shared with a wider audience?
B.

just us said...

Opposite of scurvy must be splatter butt. That's what kenya taught me at least.