Sunday, August 12, 2007

Pride Flag Raising





Here are a few photos of us at the flag-raising for Orillia's gay pride week. First time the flag has been raised at the Opera House, the centre of the community. Great turnout and lots of talk of how hard it still is to grow up gay in a small town. The Raging Grannies sang a couple of songs - are they the coolest old people around or what? One of the grannies came up to me with tears in her eyes and said, "It always makes me cry to see a father so involved with his babies. My husband wanted to be like that but it wasn't possible - he would have lost too much face". Jacob was sucking on my finger after an inconsolable period and I was thinking to myself "I'm not being involved, I'm just trying to keep the peace here". But it led to a great little discussion about small public actions and their larger political impact, about social progress needing baby steps, and how those baby steps are taken by regular people, not by big, important leaders.


The bottom picture is of Kate and I heading out on our first "date night" on Wednesday.

No comments: